Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Gates II

It is finally finished... The Gates II is my second take on this great photo by Linda Zimmerman. Sisters in Cloth has an exhibit at the end of this month at the Guilford Art Center. We will be showing 75 small art quilts all based on photographs. I sold the first version of this piece last November (see earlier post) and wanted to do something completely different. Rayna Gillman taught for our group in April, and I showcased fabrics I made in her Gelatin printing class as the buildings and sky. The other fabrics are all discharged, painted and rust dyed by yours truly. The only fiber in this piece that I did not make or alter myself are the three bands of orange gate fabric on the bottom - that was passed out by volunteers in Central Park during Christo's exhibit.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails