Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Prayer Flag Project

Inspired - what a word.  We are inspired by so much each day, we hardly even know that the inspiration has taken place at times, or where the inspiration will lead.  The word "inspire" means, at its most basic level, to breath.  And breath is wind, and wind is the breath of God.  Inspired.
My sister and I at the beach, feeling the wind

I am particularly inspired by a form of spiritual fiber,  as an interpretation of breath, word and prayer.  Prayer Flags are part of the ancient Buddhist tradition.  We have several strings hanging in our home... not because we are Buddhist or even know what the writing or symbols upon the colored fabric mean, but because they are beautiful and a reverent reminder that our prayers are heard and answered.  In a nutshell, it is believed that the prayers on the flags are lifted to God as they flutter in the wind.  Everyone who is touched by that wind, is touched by the prayers, and they are spread through the world, extending happiness, good will, and Peace.  What a wonderful concept.
Flags in my studio

I have made versions of these textiles for years.  My church has hung them in our sanctuary, complete with the prayers of little children asking for Peace on Earth and for the Hungry to be fed.  My most recent flags were made several years ago, as my friend Suzanne lay dying, and were strung above her bed.  Those were the hardest to make, but the most heart felt.

I was recently inspired again upon seeing Nina's May 30th post about her flags that hang outside her home in Norway.  Those have gained beauty as they wave in the breeze and send a message of hope, health and healing.

This month I am starting a new project - The Prayer Flag Project- with a new flag each day.  Each flag will be made in less than an hour, then hang outside for a while, its word and sentiment dissolving into the wind and being spread to all whom the wind touches.  They will be a living, breathing, kinetic journal of June.

The Prayer Flag Project...  Join me, if you'd like.

June 1
Rest in Peace

June 1:  Rest in Peace:  Flag is antique linen and lace, silk thread, a millner's flower,  as well as ripped rags.  It is a prayer for the family of Marty, who passed away this weekend from Parkinson's disease.  The paper tags, which are always part of my flags, have words on them cut from an antique cookbook, explaining how to tell a good egg from a bad egg.  Marty was a good egg, and I know his family will miss him very much.

4 comments:

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

What a wonderful idea, Vivika! I don't think I'll manage one a day, but I will play along!

PJs Lapperier said...

This feels so nice...I will do One Flag for the summer. It will blow in the wind on my summerroom outside.

Vivika said...

Thank you so much for "praying along". You can find my group on Flickr and add you photo, or just send it to me and I will post it along with a link...

Vivien Zepf said...

I think this is a great project, Vivika, and everything you've done thus far is beautiful and thought provoking. I've looked through all the days and finally got here to I'm going to be checking back every day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails