Monday, February 20, 2012
President's Day Breakfast: Can't Resist
Home Made Pop-Tart (r)
Recipe from Feb 16, 2012 Hartford Courant
by Leah Eskins
Prep: 1 hr
Bake: 30 min
Makes: 8 tarts
1 3/4 c flour
1/4 c corn meal
2 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp salt
12 tbs butter, cut in small pieces
5 tbs milk
1/2 c jam or Nutella
1. Mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture looks crumbly, with chunks of butter no bigger than kidney beans.
2. Mix the eggs and milk together in a separate container, then add half to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until the dough starts to hold together, then divide the pastry into two equal parts as you push each portion together into a ball or rectangle.
3. Roll one of the dough balls into an 8x12 rectangle, dusting the top and bottom with flour. Even off the edges with a knife or pastry roller, and brush the pastry with the remaining egg mixture. Cut the pastry into four 8x3" strips. Place about 1 tbs (or a bit less) of filling onto one side of the pastry strip leaving 1/2" all the way around. Fold the rectangle over and seal the pastry on all four sides. Push a fork gently into the sides, then prick the top to vent it with the fork.
4. Repeat with the remaining dough. Transfer the pastry onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
5. If you want (we didn't) make a glaze for the top with some powdered sugar and milk...
So very good, my kids will never go back to the store bought kind again!