Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

More Inspiration: This time from Architecture...

When my husband and I were moving to Connecticut eight years ago, we looked at several small communities.  I wanted to live near the Shoreline and have access to beaches and water.  My husband wanted to live near a train station and have access to New York.  We compromised, but not before touring several beautiful towns, including New Canaan.   This enclave is known for its proximity to the big apple, well heeled  population, and for being the "model" for The Stepford Wives... but it is also known as a hotbed for Modern Architecture.  In the 1940's and 50's, experimental architects found a sympathetic zoning board and a group of clients who were instrumental in building over 100 modern residential projects.  The most famous is the weekend retreat of Philip Johnson... The Glass House.


We waited two years for tickets (yes - that is not a typo) and loved the entire experience.  From the electric gate at the entrance, to the landscaped woods at the back of the property, it was an experience, not just another visit to a museum or a house tour.  I did snap a few pictures even though we were on a "no photo" tour (photographs are not encouraged unless you take a photo-specific tour).  I always find my point and shoot camera lens to be inadequate for grand locations... so I will just share this one from architecture.about.com.  It was simple and elegant, totally "unlivable", but had the feeling of a masterpiece.  The other structures on the property are also incredible... an underground art bunker which looks (to me) like a missile launcher... a structure made of chain link fencing that is called the Ghost House, and the Library/Office which has a turret and only one window.  Lastly, we entered Da Monsta - a tilted and crooked structure at the gate of the property.

I only wonder how my next artwork will be influenced by this visit...  because every day, every hour, every moment, we are changed by what we see and experience.  What a day.

2 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I have never heard of this place, how fascinating! Think I'll put my name on the two year ticket list.

Deirdre said...

I was reading just the other day that they are looking for more visitors.

http://newcanaan.patch.com/events/philip-johnson-glass-house-2010-tour-season-launch

Tickets run from $30 to $400!

:-D eirdre

Related Posts with Thumbnails